Sunday, September 27, 2009

WHY I DID WHAT I DID

Its true! It takes jes a second for your world to go topsy turvy . I was stepping out with my niece to get some shopping done for her impending wedding , when I received a call that my 81 year old father was struck down by a car ! The first thing that happens in such a case is that , you go into denial , set your emotions aside and act as if you are outside the situation. I think I jes did that.

While my heart lurched to see him covered in blood, the first thing I thought of, was how to get him attended by a doctor. In the meantime , the three 20 year olds whose Honda city had done the grievous act were standing guiltily, waiting for a reaction ! I looked at them for a while, the gathered crowd waiting to see me act. I only remember asking the one who was driving, do you have a license ? Silly question for the moment don't you think ?

In the meantime , my niece rushed to get the family doctor....who suggested that we take him to a Government hospital and get a police case registered. The boys waited .....frightened out of their wits....I looked at them and said...,"OK now you takeover....take us to the nearest hospital"

Three pairs of trembling hands whisked away my father in the very same car that hurt him.
At the hospital, my niece and the three boys completely took over , getting him a wheelchair , holding his walking stick, standing there while the doctors attended to my father , stitches, cleanups, bill payments, X rays , while I just stood there as a bystander !

After keeping him under observation for a while , they let us go !

I looked back at the three frightened faces who had caused injury to my dad.. They had a college presentation which they had missed . I looked at them and jes said, "I made you go through the entire process of attending to him, only because I wanted you to see what damage a casual act of yours could lead to...there is a marriage coming up in the family, jes see how you could have snuffed our happiness, only because you were not careful. Was I sounding too preachy ...I know from the facial expressions of my near and dear ones , that they were not too happy at my letting them go off without a single harsh word.....

In retrospect I wondered why I behaved the way I did. I guess it was for two reasons, one, my first priority was to focus attention on my father and get an SOS for him and the other, were a few lines I remembered from Neil Wealsh's , "Conversation with GOD " , where he says, "every happening in life is preordained ....and that whatever a person does to us or vice versa is what was to be done through that person, whether he liked it or not ! " I guess it was an accident and they did not hit my pa on purpose......

I let them off, they too seemed shocked....they left their mobile nos. with me....one of them also said , if someone had done it to their father , they would have hit him...I smiled , I told them I would not waste my energy doing that, I would rather proioritise what I had to do jest then....I hoped my father recovered soon so that they too would not be in trouble.

I wonder why I am sharing all this with you... I know most of you reading this, are students....it's also about telling you ...please be careful ...with your life and that of others....

Dad's limping back to normalcy, I feel sad looking at his black eye , his bruises, and yet I am unable to hate those boys who did it to him....

Am I too passive and forgiving for the world ? Or do I like to jesbeatit ?

2 comments:

  1. ma'am really sorry to hear about your dad, do convey my get well soon wishes to him. id just like to say that it only seems superhuman, what u have done, i wouldnt say if it ws wrong or right, im no one to judge, but it just doesnt seem like it was easy to do

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should have atleast slapped them once maám...something that I am sure their parents wouldn't have done that has led them to being so rash...talk about being super-rich kids...*angry look

    ReplyDelete